Thursday, December 07, 2006

Knitting Project CatchUp

I am a member of a Charity Knitting/Crochet Group at my company. We meet the second Friday of each month to exchange tips, catch up on how we are all doing, exchange patterns, pick up more yarn and drop off completed items. Our organizer drops off the completed items to our main charity periodically.
Our last meeting for the year is tomorrow and we need to drop off all completed items so our organizer can deliver them in time for the holiday distribution at the charity. Eek!



I had turned in everything I had made so far with the exception of one adult/adolescent hat and a T shaped sweater (my first sweater) sized for a 2 year old. I don't know about you but seaming pieces together drives me crazy and I don't do a great job so I would avoid seaming the two pieces of the sweater together. As you can see, the sweater is in red and white so I also wanted to seam the sections with the right colors. And then of course was the final weaving in of the tails for each section as well! URGH!
Well I finally finished all the seaming and weaving in of the ends this morning so I will be turning it in tomorrow. Whew!

I actually had finished this hat ages ago and forgot about it when I turned in some other hats. It is from a pattern by Janelle Schlossman called the Blanche hat that she has posted on her AOL site and is linked to by a few free pattern sites.
It is a cute pattern using one size smaller circular needles for the rib area. I believe that the main stitch is called a double Moss stitch and I had forgotten all about it. Oddly I found it in a stitch dictionary recently and have started a scarf using that stitch pattern.

NICU hats - I finally finished the ninth hat and I think that will be it for those hats. We have not set a date to meet and turn in everything yet. If I have time closer to that date I will try to make it to 10 hats.

No real progress on my simple Red ribbed scarf for the Red Hat Scarf Project due to be sent to the Project address in January. I should get that done in time. (I hope)

Needless to say I have alot of other In-Progress items that I have not had a chance to work on, including the Irish Hiking Scarf.

I missed getting to the big Manhattan hotel sale that Smileys Yarns had recently. A once-a-year event for them. Too much going on at home and at work so I just couldn't get up there. It did not help that a fabric/yarn store that has been in business for years P& S Yarns, just below Canal Street in Manhattan is closing due to the building being sold and no luck in finding a location that was financially feasible at this time. I had recently gotten on their mailing list and my first mailing was the announcement and invitation to the Pre-Public closing sale. This was the same week as the hotel sale. I made it to the closing sale the second day and picked up some yarn and notions. I spent an hour on line to pay and counted myself lucky since while I was on the line they had temporarily closed the store to more customers. This was to make sure that they could service everyone on that line before they had to close for the day. I had heard from people on the line with me that the line to get into the store the previous day (first day of sale) had snaked down the street all day.
Yikes!

Never enough yarn and never enough storage space for your yarn stash!

No comments: