Saturday, April 05, 2008

The Pending Office Move Saga

So my office is supposed to move on Tuesday 4/8. They gave me a choice of two office spaces both the same size but smaller than my current office. I informed them of my choice on 3/19 of the end office with a more flexible layout. Nothing was done with that information.

Those using that space were not informed to clear it out.
No furniture was arranged for me.
Needed info for the activation of my phone or desktop Pc connection was not obtained and given to the appropriate areas with the date needed to be determined.
Keys to the office and the outer area door were not made.

All of this was not started until this week and my office move is the pivotal first required move to allow the others to happen. My move could have been mostly completed by now if they had started some of the above the week after I made my decision. I would not have been as frantic and I should not be losing as many days of productive work. Did I mention that my project is the holdup on a big conversion scheduled for the end of May? So now I have to work even harder to make it. I have been recycling, packing, disposing and taking stuff home since Thursday.

I move, then the manager I work with moves from his office into mine to allow his furniture to be used for someone in another building and an Associate Director to move into his office. Of course my current office and the Manager's current office have to be painted before being moved into. These are in combination with staff moving from another building because the space they are using now must be vacated by a deadline date for renovation for classroom space or other usage.

My new office space is in a student lab area and I will have to go back up to my current office area to get printouts since there are no mainframe linked printers in the student lab and anything I print from my desktop would not be suitable for students to be able to see. Oh and everyone I need to work with is still upstairs in my old office area. If I have to cover my group's daily functions it will be worse since we get paperwork faxed to us which I would also have to go upstairs to get unless they get me a separate fax or fax modem card compatible with my current desktop.

Oh and what furniture did they order? Actually they didn't. I was supposed to move on Tuesday without a desk if I wasn't able to make use of the long table currently in that space. Well, they are ordering a two drawer lateral file cabinet and one small cabinet. Which won't arrive until after the move. I picked the office that had bracket shelving (I must have been psychic) so I can use that. One of my current cabinets is being moved down on Tuesday (which meant I have to empty it and the cabinet on the same floor has two different locked sections only one where the key is available.) So I can't move anything from the cabinet being moved into that one until I have the remaining key (hopefully on Monday). I have two narrow wooden bookcases that will be moved on Tuesday and my chair. Otherwise I would have been sitting on the floor surrounded by boxes with nothing to unpack into.

I am planning on going to the office tomorrow, Sunday, to bring more stuff home and perhaps move things from the pieces moving down into the ones that will remain.
To Be Continued...

No comments: