Monday, October 02, 2006

Unexpected

My Dental work is healing well and I am a lot less uncomfortable. I have a plan on how to pay off the cost of that work so that has reduced my stress.

On a happy note, a co-worker's wife had a baby girl (their second child and second girl) and I managed to get the pick hooded blanket that I had knit for them into the office when he was dropping by. Despite the best or worst efforts of the NYC transit system. I spoke to her the next day and she really like the blanket and the quickly made newborn hat I had stayed up to finish (and seamed badly). She is looking for come items in white or blue to coordinate with some of the baby's other outfits.

Not having any yarn to meet that criteria at home I decided to take a trip to AC Moore on Saturday if the weather looked okay, it has been rainy here. The weather cleared and off I went. THey were having a Yarn and Jewelry event at the store that I can get to. When I arrived it was like an obstacle course navigating around the customers and the demonstration tables scattered about the store. I managed to find the minimum yarn I was looking for and got distracted by some free patterns, "won't that be cute!". That meant picking up other yarn that might suit that pattern.

They announced the winner of the current drawing, and when that person did not seem to be there they picked another name. I usually miss those drawings since I often don't find the right table to fill out an entry form. The next drawing was in an hour and would be the last for the event. In my wanderings around the store I happened onto the entry table and dropped my name in.

While on the checkout line they did the last drawing and my name was called!
Some of the people were suggesting that I could put some of the yarn in my shopping cart back and save some money (yeah right - not the same yarns, unfortunately). A woman behind me kiddingly said she was going to tell them that she was me if I had not answered. Which she agreed wouldn't have worked since they ask for id. I told her that this was making up for the dental work fun I had been having. She was glad that something happened to help cheer me up.
acmooreprize
The challenge of course was how to get my purchases home AND the basket since I was taking two buses. Thankfully, I am an advanced packer and managed to squirrel away yarn in my purse and my backpack. Then the basket went into this large black totebag I have along with more purchased yarn. I deserved refreshment and went over to the Starbuck's in this little mall I was in. Cafe Mocha in hand I was sitting outside when it started to drizzle. *sigh*
I was lucky and caught the bus and the next bus before I got too soaking wet. Of course when I got to my neighborhood it started raining there.

oliviahats
After taking a nap I started working on a hat for baby Olivia. This was the same pattern I had done quickly the other night in pink yarn. This one started with blue and the remainder was in white. I did a much better job of seaming and matched the purl rows around the hat. In the picture it is on the right. Then I tried a different pattern in blue with two eyelet rows in the body and starting with ribbing. That is the hat in the picture on the left.

Hopefully these fit her or will.

No comments: